A toddler has died after becoming tangled up in a window blind cord at her grandparents’ home.1totBronwyn Taylor, who was 16-month-old, died as a result of strangulation while playing with a toy hoover in a bedroom. An inquest found yesterday that the tragic tot got her neck caught inside a beaded cord loop and fell to the ground.

The young child suffered catastrophic injuries and was found by her grandmother, retired nurse Shirley Taylor, 66, who desperately tried to resuscitate her. Ambulance crews dashed to the house in Fegg Hayes, Stoke-on-Trent, after receiving a 999 call at 3.30pm and rushed her to hospital.

Bronwyn had only been on her own for a matter of minutes when she became stuck, after parents Cathy, 42, and Matthew Taylor, 40, took their other two children to the theatre.  Bronwyn suffered a cardiac arrest and was pronounced dead when she arrived at Royal Stoke University Hospital.

Assistant coroner David James recorded a verdict of accidental death and described the death as an “utter tragedy” and implored parents to ensure their blinds are safe.  Devastated father Matthew said at the time: “Our whole world has been blown apart. Parents should never have to bury their child.  My mum and dad have been blaming themselves but we don’t blame them. It was a freak accident. We are all devastated.”