A four-year-old boy has died in a tragic freak accident at home after his coat hood got caught on a door handle and he was knocked unconscious.1soupMaison Hirstle was playing with his brothers when the hood snagged on the handle of the front door. He banged his head and was knocked out and his 16 year-old brother, TJ, carried him to their father James.

He attempted emergency CPR on his young son as an ambulance raced to the family’s home in Scarborough, North Yorks. Maison was rushed to hospital where his devastated family were told that he had suffered severe brain damage due to a lack of oxygen.

He was taken to intensive care and his parents were given the heartbreaking news he would not make it and were asked to say their final goodbyes. Maison – described as ‘a cheeky chap’ – has left behind brothers, TJ, Darcy, 11, Preston, five and Exley, two.

Family friend Lianne White, 29, said: “A freak accident has taken away a very special little boy from our family. He has left massive hole in all of our hearts. It is utterly heartbreaking and nothing will ever replace the life we lost.”