Ten-Year-Old Girl Needs Emergency Surgery After Horrific Fidget Spinner Accident

A ten-year-old girl is lucky to be alive after a piece of her fidget spinner – the latest must-have toy for kids – got lodged in her throat. Kelly Rose Joniec, from Texas, has described the terrifying moment her daughter Britton swallowed a piece of one of the wildly popular playthings and was rushed to hospital for surgery.

She wrote on Facebook: “On the way home from a fun swim meet, I heard Britton make an odd retching noise in the back seat as I was driving. Looking back in the mirror, I saw her face turning red and drool pouring from her mouth.” The mum pulled over and her daughter motioned to her throat. Britton had put part of the fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it and accidentally swallowed it.

The pair rushed to hospital, but doctors couldn’t tell whether the piece was in her airway or oesophagus so an ambulance rushed them to Texas Children’s Hospital near Houston. An x-ray showed the piece of metal was in her oesophagus and it was removed through surgery.

Comments are closed.