An inquest into the death of little Chantelle Firth has heard how both staff and paramedics fought to save the life of the six year-old.
Chantelle was seen struggling to breathe at lunchtime at Pentland Primary School in Billingham in Teeside. School staff were frantic in their efforts to dislodge the piece of boiled egg that had become lodged in her throat and efforts continued with the arrival of the paramedics.
Chantelle, who had special educational needs, was rushed to University Hospital of North Tees, in Stockton, but her brain had been starved of oxygen for too long and she was pronounced dead on arrival.
An inquest into her death in March 2012 heard how the shape of the piece of boiled egg made it extremely difficult, if not virtually impossible to remove from Chantelle’s throat. Teeside Coroners’ Court heard from pathologist Jennifer Bolton who said: “When incidents like this deprive children of oxygen to their brains, it doesn’t take a long time for the damage to be done. Once she got to hospital, unfortunately, the damage had already been done.”
The coroner, Malcolm Ducker, recorded a verdict of accidental death The Headteacher of Chantelle’s primary school said: “This was a tragic incident and our thoughts are with Chantelle’s parents, family and friends at this incredibly sad and difficult time. Chantelle was a very popular girl and the loss of such a lovely, gentle and kind child continues to be felt throughout our whole school community.”