A 12-year-old schoolgirl died after she was overcome by deodorant fumes during a summer holiday with her family, an inquest has heard. Paige Daughtry had been so keen to protect her personal hygiene she used under-arm body spray as if ”it was going out of fashion.”

Her devastated mum told the hearing her daughter would spend “hours” spraying the substance because she “didn’t want to smell”. “She used to spray it in small rooms and I used to tell her off,” she added. Paige was found lying face-down on a bed inside a caravan her family were renting at a holiday park in Fleetwood, near Blackpool, Lancashire.

She was rushed to hospital, where she tragically died two hours later, despite medics’ and other holidaymakers’ attempts to revive her. Police investigating the tragedy found Paige’s can of Right Guard deodorant lying on grass outside the caravan’s en-suite bathroom. Forensic pathologist, Dr Jonathan Metcalfe said the cause of Paige’s death was ”inhalation of volatile substances,” but there was no evidence of chronic use.

Loading...