One child has tragically died and 11 others have been rushed to hospital after being found unconscious at a hotel swimming pool. Fire officers who attended the scene believe the children, who are said to be between 10 and 14 years old, suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The group of children were found unconscious at the indoor pool of the Quality Inn and Suite in Niles, Michigan. The children are being treated at local hospitals, and several are said to be in critical condition. Some first responders who came to the aid of the children are also being treated in hospital after the exposure.

Fire Department Captain Don Wise said that they were unsure how long the children had been unconscious for but that one child was found dead on arrival. The deceased child has since been named by local police as 13-year-old Bryan Douglas Watts. According to CNN, police measured the carbon monoxide levels at the hotel to find 800 parts per million in comparison to the safe 35 parts per million.

Loading...