Man Plummets To Death In Horrific Lift Tragedy

A man was killed in a shocking lift accident while his friend managed to crawl out from the top of the elevator and escape death.

27 year-old Craig Jones was in the lift with a friend on Saturday afternoon. The lift malfunctioned, breaking down between the fourth and fifth floors. It is reported that Mr Jones and his friend pressed the alarm, but nothing happened.

Marsden House in Bolton where the tragic accident happened

Marsden House in Bolton where the tragic accident happened

The pair took the decision to prise open the doors and attempt to escape. Mr Jones’s friend was able to exit the lift, climb to the top and escape out on to the fifth floor of the block of flats, Marsden House on Marsden Road in Bolton.

However, when Mr Jones tried to climb free, he fell five floors down the lift shaft, plummeting to his death. Paramedics, fire crews and the police raced to the scene, and Mr Jones was rushed to Salford Royal Hospital, but he was pronounced dead later that day. Mr Jones, who was a plasterer, is understood to have lived in Marsden House for several years. As of yesterday afternoon, his van was still in the car park.

Mr Jones worked as a plasterer

Mr Jones worked as a plasterer

A spokesman for the Greater Manchester Police said: “Police were called to a block of flats on Marsden Road following reports a 27-year-old man had fallen five floors down a lift shaft. The man and his friend had been stuck in the lift. There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death and GMP and the Health and Safety Executive will now be making inquiries to establish the exact circumstances surrounding his death.”

The accident, which police say is not suspicious, has now been referred to the Health and Safety Executive. A spokesman for the HSE said: “That incident has been reported to us and we are currently making enquiries.”

A parking attendant who works in the nearby St Edmund’s Street Car Park said he often saw Mr Jones. Carl Whittaker said:”I’ve heard that one of the lads managed to get free, but the other one didn’t and fell. I only saw him last week.

“Someone mentioned that his van was still here from last week and I just thought ‘I hope it wasn’t him,’ but it was. He was a nice lad, I only saw him recently. His friends looked gutted when I saw them. I’m gutted for them.”

Comments are closed.