Man Killed In E-Cigarette Explosion

A man has been killed after his e-cigarette exploded and set alight his oxygen equipment.

MRFS has launched a campaign to highlight the dangers chargers

MRFS has launched a campaign to highlight the dangers chargers

The 62 year-old man was found dead in his living room in his house in Wallasey, Merseyside. The fire service investigated the cause of the fire and have determined that an e-cigarette that was connected to a charger in the bedroom of the house in Penkett Road exploded; the explosion ignited the oxygen tube and caused a fire. There will be an inquest into the man’s death to determine the exact cause of death later in the year.

It is the ninth fire caused by e-cigarettes this year on Merseyside alone. The Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service (MRFS) has now launched a campaign to highlight the dangers of charging devices and the benefits of having working smoke alarms installed.

A spokesman for the MFRS, Myles Platt, said: “The investigation into the cause of this fire is continuing but at this stage it is thought that the charging device being used at the time may not have been the one supplied with the e-cigarette. We urge people to always use electrical equipment in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and guidance, always ensure that no electrical items are left charging overnight or left unattended for a long period when being charged and do not mix parts from different e-cigarettes.

“Only use the original charger or electrical cables supplied and ensure you purchase electrical items from a reputable source. We understand the impact tragic incidents such as these can have on families and the wider community. Firefighters will be carrying out community reassurance visits and highlighting home fire safety in the area.”

Comments are closed.