A man was electrocuted while charging his iPhone in the bath as he got ready for a family Christmas party. Richard Bull, 32, is said to have died when he ran an extension wire from his hallway into the bathroom. He then rested the cable on his chest while charging his phone, an inquest into his death heard.

Mr Bull, of Ealing, West London, suffered severe burns on his chest, arm and hand when the wire came into contact with the water. He died on December 11 while getting ready to meet relatives to swap Christmas presents. His wife Tanya, who discovered him, thought he had been attacked by an intruder because he was so badly wounded.

She called 999 but he was pronounced dead when paramedics arrived. A coroner recorded a verdict of accidental death. His grieving brother Andrew, who described the death as a “needless and heartless” accident, said: “We can all be careless at times. You don’t think there is enough electricity to do this, but there is.”

Loading...