A shocking spider bite left mum Polly Lines in hospital with a huge wound on her leg and suffering from a blood infection; the wound is so bad, she might even need a skin graft.

Polly, who is a Maths teacher, thinks she suffered the bite on a family holiday to Center Parcs in Elveden Forest in Suffolk and fears the spider that bit her may have been dangerous False Widow spider.

A week after the holiday, Polly found the instep of her foot was bruised; the bite began to blister and swell and she found it difficult to walk. Her GP spotted the bite marks and sent her to Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford, where she has been admitted for the last fortnight suffering from dehydration and blood poisoning.

There were fears at one point that Polly Lines might lose her leg

There were fears at one point that Polly Lines might lose her leg

Polly’s husband Steve said: “It looks like a shark has taken a bite out of her. She had very bad swelling then a blister developed on her calf. That eventually started to weep and burst. She’s in a bad way and has a nasty infection. It’s left a pretty bad wound.”

As the infection ran riot round the mum-of-two’s body, her temperature rocketed to 44ºC, seven degrees about a normal body temperature of 37ºC and she is being monitored by a microbiologist, an orthopaedic surgeon and a plastic surgeon. Polly will not be released from hospital until the swelling has gone down and it is decided whether she needs a skin graft or not.

Polly's husband Steve said: "It looks like a shark has taken a bite out of her"

Polly’s husband Steve said: “It looks like a shark has taken a bite out of her”

The family do not blame Center Parcs and is not even sure the bite was sustained there. A spokesman for Center Parcs said that the holiday firm was not aware of any reports of spider bites at its sites, but they wished Polly a “full, speedy recovery.”