1eyeA four-year-old boy’s eye was GLUED shut for five days by accident at a hospital , his angry family have complained. Jay Watson was taken to the Alexandra Hospital in Redditch after he fell and cut his head at a play area in Worcester.  Nurses in the hospital’s A&E department decided to glue the wound rather than use stitches – but the glue dripped into Jay’s eye.

The Studley youngster was howling in pain – but worse was yet to come; because the eye was glued tight shut, it took five days for it to loosen and restore his sight.  “He came out worse than he went in,” said Jayne Gilder, Jay’s grandmother, who went to hospital with him. The glue dripped down his head and into his eye. He was screaming and screaming.

“It was terrible – and there was no need for it. All they had to do was put a gauze pad in place to protect his eye while they did it.  The nurses said not to worry. ‘It will be alright because it has happened to others’,” Jayne told the Birmingham Mail. Jay was sent home, and told that his eyelids would open on their own but the pain was so intense that Jayne and Jay’s mother, Jo Watson, took him back to hospital next day, where staff tried to prise the eye open, but to no avail.

Jay, from Studley, had to take a week off primary school , while he waited five days for his eye to open again. Jayne said she had received an apology from a nurse at the hospital, but is speaking out in the hope that other children will not endure the same preventable pain.