A baby boy has died after being poisoned by the chemical used in e-cigarettes.

E-cigarettes are growing in popularity

E-cigarettes are growing in popularity

E-cigarettes are fast-growing in popularity, but contain a harmful chemical that can be fatal if ingested.

The one year-old baby, who was from New York, swallowed the liquid nictoine and was found unresponsive at his home; he was rushed to hospital, but pronounced dead shortly after arrival.

Police are treating his death as a “tragic accident” and no arrests have been made. However, authorities are warning of the dangers of e-cigarettes and are urging vigilence around children.

The American Association of Poison Control Centres released a statement on Friday: “One teaspoon of liquid nicotine could be lethal to a child and smaller amounts can cause severe illness, often requiring trips to the emergency department.

Fort Plain police confirmed that the child had drunk from a glass bottle containing liquid nicotine that did not have a childproof cap

Fort Plain police confirmed that the child had drunk from a glass bottle containing liquid nicotine that did not have a childproof cap

“Despite the dangers these products pose to children, there are currently no standards set in place that require child-proof packaging.”

In addition, the Director of the Poison Control Centre at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Dr. Donna Seger, added that even a tiny amount of nicotine can be very dangerous for children, especially when the packaging is not secure. She explained: “They’re not that difficult to get into. The issue is once the exposure occurs, it could be bad.”

The death of the baby is the first since 2012 when a man injected himself with liquid nicotine.