A young woman died after a routine scan at an airport caused her pacemaker to malfunction.

She leaves behind her anguished husband, who has recounted how his “beautiful wife” died in his arms.

Metal detector scanners are routine at airports

Metal detector scanners are routine at airports

30 year-old Diana Tolstova and her husband Maxim, 33, were in Ulan-Ude Airport, in the Republic of Buryatia, in Southern Russia. As she passed through the airport’s metal detector, the electromagnetic waves caused a glitch in Diana’s pacemaker and she collapsed.  Pacemakers are used to keep hearts beating in people with problematic cardiat rhythms.

Medics at the airport raced to help Diana, but she could not be saved. Her heartbroken husband said: “We were standing at the security gates and I had given them papers showing Diana was on a pacemaker. I don’t know what happened but she went through it anyway.

“When we got to the departure gate she began to feel dizzy and suddenly collapsed. I grabbed her in my arms and called for medical help.

Diana Tolstova was 30 when she died

Diana Tolstova was 30 when she died

“It took a few minutes before hospital doctors arrived, and when they did they didn’t know what to do. They didn’t give her any first aid and they didn’t call an ambulance. My beautiful Diana died in my arms.”

Authorities at the airport are investigating the death. A spokesman said: “Security and airport personnel are given strict instructions about how to handle people with pacemakers and we warn them never to let a wearer go through a metal detector. In normal circumstances they see their papers and let them pass.

“In this case, the patient seems to either have forgotten about it, didn’t know or became confused by the airport security arrangements. But every patient receives a strict warning.”

Loading...