An 11-year-old boy was electrocuted at a rail depot while trying to get his football. The lad was named today as Harrison Ballantyne. Paramedics tried to save him but he was pronounced dead at the scene.
It is thought Harrison may have jumped up on to a parked engine and hit overhead cables at the Daventry International Rail Freight Depot, Northants. Dave Warner, 30, who lives in the nearby village of Crick, said: “He was apparently trying to retrieve a football when he was electrocuted. It’s tragic and a real cloud has descended over the village.”
A spokeswoman for Crick Primary School, where Harrison was a pupil, said: “We are planning to say something official later but at this time we have no comment.” Detective Inspector Gareth Davies, of British Transport Police, said: “I have specially trained officers supporting the family as they try to come to terms with this awful news. The family will be desperate for answers.”