An “energetic, athletic’ ten year-old boy died after he was bitten by a spider.
10 year-old Keith Pierce was enjoying a game of football when he was bitten on the leg by a brown recluse spider.
Bacteria introduced into the bite wound overwhelmed little Keith’s immune system and despite surgery on Sunday, in an attempt to step the infection, Keith died on Monday, nine days after sustaining the bite.
Keith’s autopsy confirmed he was bitten by a brown recluse spider; bites from this spider are not usually fatal, but they can be deadly to young children or people with compromised immune systems.
Alicia Carper Clark, a family friend, described Keith, who was from Three Forks, Montana, as “an energetic, athletic, cute little boy. He was great at wrestling, and loved sports and was super active and fun.”