Anti-Terror officers are on high alert for the Conor McGregor-Floyd Mayweather fight over fears of an ISIS massacre. Las Vegas police are ramping up security ahead of the highly anticipated clash after the death cult threatened to bring terror to the city.
Authorities fear ISIS-inspired terrorists may carry out a Barcelona-style van attack on the city’s iconic strip of hotels and casinos. An ISIS propaganda video featuring images of hotels and casinos in the Sin City has spurred police to increase security for the fight. The footage was released in May – just days after Manchester bomber Salman Abedi slaughtered 22 outside a pop concert.
Now, three months on, the “credible” threat has sparked police concerns for the big fight between McGregor and Mayweather. This weekend hundreds of thousands of boxing fans, including many Brits, will descend on the T Mobile Arena to watch the match. As 20,000 fans flock to the venue, police patrolling the strip will be on standby outside. Security is expected to be tight, with around 5,000 hotel staff advised to inform police of suspicious activity.
TV boss Kevin Lygo has revealed Ant McPartlin WILL return to host I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here! this year. The star’s appearance on the jungle show had been cast into doubt when he entered rehab in June to battle his addiction to painkillers following a knee operation in 2015. But Lygo, speaking at the Edinburgh Television Festival on Wednesday, insisted the show would go ahead, and Ant would be part of it.
He said: “Ant is doing really well and we’re expecting him to return to I’m A Celebrity, so we won’t be resting it.” There had been plenty of speculation that someone would take Ant’s place alongside his long-time presenting partner Declan Donnelly, with names including Holly Willoughby and Stephen Mulhern being thrown into the ring.
But when interviewer Lauren Laverne questioned whether Ant was irreplaceable, Kevin responded with an emphatic “Yes”. Ant has reportedly checked out of rehab and is now said to be at home with wife Lisa Armstrong and his mother Christine, to help with his recovery. Dec has previously revealed he “would never” consider hosting I’m A Celeb without his best mate.
A man carrying a knife has been arrested outside Buckingham Palace on suspicion of attacking two police officers. The alleged attack took place just after 8.30pm on Friday evening, with the man held on suspicion of assault and grievous bodily harm. Several witnessed said they saw a man being “wrestled to the ground” as armed police swooped on the scene.
One eye witness, Kiana Williamson, told the Press Association: “We turned up and there was one police van and one car, there was also a civilian’s car that had veered towards the police car. They were trying to get the man out of the car, shouting, more police were arriving on to the scene and the man was fighting back.”
The Metropolitan Police posted on Twitter: “Officers are on scene at the Mall o/s Buckingham Palace. A man has been arrested on suspicion of GBH and assault on police. Two police officers suffered minor injuries during the course of detaining the man.” A cordon has now been set up around the area and the Palace was put on lockdown.
A man has been arrested outside Buckingham Palace after he attacked two police officers.
Both officers were injured in the attack, but it is not yet known how badly. Metropolitan Police tweeted: “Officers are on scene at the Mall o/s Buckingham Palace. A man has been arrested on suspicion of GBH and assault on police.”
The Palace has been put into emergency lockdown. More follows…
A man has been shot in the centre of Brussels after attacking two soldiers with a machete. Police confirmed that the suspect was shot dead.
According to RTBF, the attacker was a Somali man about 30 years old, who shouted “Allahu Akbar” during his assault.
Pictures from the scene show the area cordoned off with police and emergency services in the street.
One witness, Ryan MacDonald, said he heard the sound of a gunshot.
A 16-year-old girl has died after being hit by a train of GCSE results day. Paramedics were called to Haslemere station in Surrey at 4pm yesterday but they were unable to save the teenager and she was pronounced dead at the scene.
Officers are not treating her death as suspicious but are trying to establish how she managed to get onto the line. The family of the girl, who lived nearby, has been informed. A spokesman for the British Transport Police said: “The person who was struck by a train yesterday afternoon near Haslemere station is believed to be a 16-year-old girl form the local area.
“At approximately 4pm officers from British Transport Police were called to the line close to Haslemere station. They attended alongside paramedics from the South East Coast Ambulance Service, however the girl was sadly pronounced dead at the scene. Work is now underway to establish how the girl came to be on the tracks and receive the fatal injuries. Her death is not currently being treated as suspicious.”
Motorists on one of Britain’s busiest motorways have been warned of severe delays after a multi-car pile up. Three lanes of the QE2 bridge on the M25 are closed and drivers are experiencing growing tailbacks.
Anti-clockwise delays are already in excess of half an hour in both directions. Emergency services are at the scene.
It comes as Brits across the country hit the roads and head home for the bank holiday. According to the RAC, the roads will likely be at their busiest tonight between 3pm and 7pm. Over the whole weekend, Monday is set to be the busiest day, with five million drivers on the road.
Terrifyingly giant spiders are invading the nation’s homes – amid claims some are so big they could set off burglar alarms. Homeowners are being warned the Bank Holiday weekend could spark the start of an invasion of the arachnids as they venture indoors.
They usually start to seek shelter in September — but the washout summer is seeing them move in early as they seek warmth to start their search for sex. And the downpours mean there are more spiders to come for homeowners across the country with house spiders looking for places to lay 100 eggs at a time.
The Taylor family said they were shocked to discover giant spiders invading their home and were only alerted when their intruder alarm went off. Dad Andy investigated fearing burglars were in the house after the alarm was sounded by not just one, but several enormous spiders. Stacey Pearson also found two “as big as a hand”. One was in her seven-year-old son’s bedroom, the other emerged from a sink. She said: “Honestly, I have no idea how it fitted through the plughole.”
A tragic mother-of-three drank eight pints of Fosters and choked to death on a chicken curry as friends warned her against eating it too fast, an inquest was told. A coroner heard Sandra Bran, 67, choked on an inch-long piece of chicken at a memorial birthday party for a friend who had recently died.
Pals desperately battled to save Sandra’s life and performed CPR until paramedics arrived at the house near Southampton, Hants. They tried in vain to dislodge the food by slapping her on the back, performing a “bear-hug” Heimlich manoeuvre and putting her in the recovery position.
Friend Tracy Cromer told the inquest today in Winchester: “Sandra was feeling emotional – she ate very quickly and was told to slow down.” The toxicology report revealed Mrs Bran, who had drunk eight cans of Fosters lager, was almost three times the legal drink drive limit. A post mortem examination showed she died of an upper airway obstruction and that her level of alcohol could have affected her body’s natural ability to protect itself.
A boy of four from Manchester has died after being crushed by an iron gate while on holiday visiting family in Italy. Little Angelo Quirino, from Crumpsall, was visiting family near Rome when the tragedy happened on Saturday afternoon.
His uncle and some neighbours are said to have gone to help when they heard screams but found the youngster unconscious. The incident happened at a property the family had hired in the coastal district of Anzio, about 40 miles south of Rome, some three days into the family trip to visit Italian relatives.
An air ambulance was scrambled to the scene and medics are said to have attempted to resuscitate the youngster for more than 45 minutes. The boy, who was due to start school in north Manchester next month, reportedly suffered injuries to his head and collarbone. An investigation is under way into how the 200kg (450lb) sliding iron gate toppled onto the child as he played football with his older brother.